Changing School Culture Through Character Education & Diversity Appreciation
A Multi-Sensory, Interactive Learning Experience for Students and Educators
Recognizing that the most effective anti-bullying programs are those that change school culture through whole-school
multidisciplinary interventions, two New Jersey nonprofits are partnering to offer a unique program that helps schools to meet requirements of the new anti-bullying law and creates meaningful, sustainable change in attitudes and culture.
SAFE SCHOOLS ANTI-BULLYING INITIATIVE is designed to enable districts to meet the latest requirements of New Jersey’s antibullying laws in a unique and meaningful way.
- N.J.S.A 18A:37-17 encourages schools and school districts to establish bullying, harassment prevention programs
- N.J.S.A 18A:40A-17(c) and State Board of Education Administration Code N.J.A.C 6A:16-7.9(d)1i require information about the bullying policies to be incorporated into school employee training programs
- N.J.S.A 18A:37-17(b) and State Board of Education Administrative Code N.J.A.C 6A:16-7.9(d)2 require districts to develop procedures for discussing bullying and harassment policies with students
The Kidsbridge Tolerance Museum at TCNJ and Storytelling Arts, Inc. are offering a multi-sensory, interactive learning
experience for both students and staff.
SAFE SCHOOLS is a K-12 character education program that will:
§ Increase awareness of the nature, causes, and effects of bullying
- Create empathy — the springboard to positive action
- Empower students to successfully interact with peers
- Increase self esteem
- Encourage students and teachers to take active leadership roles
- Enable action that will stop bullying
- Foster a caring community that engenders “Respect for all”
Kidsbridge is a unique tolerance museum that educates youth grades 3-12 to make positive changes in themselves and their world. Interactive exhibits and small group discussions teach educators and youth strategies to stop bullying, empower victims, and change bystanders into “UPstanders.” Storytelling Arts, Inc. is a nonprofit organization offering programs proven effective at increasing all measures of literacy plus social skills. Multi-cultural folk tales, contemporary literature, and real life stories of conflict and resolution provide a forum for understanding of sensitive issues.
For more information, please contact Carrie Wainwright at Storytelling Arts, Inc. at email@example.com or by phone at (609) 430-1922.